“The holiest words I’ve ever read or thought or sung or prayed, were praises, praises for the world.
And if I die tomorrow may the last words that I know, be praises, praises for the world.”
Friends, you're invited to join me in the practice of praise. During this gathering, a twin to the grief-tending ritual, we will revel in the practice of praise!
On April 23 from 6-9pm Mountain Time (check your timezone) we will gather to praise this beautiful world and all that is yet unruined; the beauty and blessings that are easy to miss when tragedy unfolds all around us. Consider the species not yet extinct - we are blessed to be alive along with finches and ravens, humpback whales and spirit bears, fir trees and peach trees, stag beetles and lightning bugs, sea breezes and thunderstorms. Consider the amazing beings we're blessed to know. Consider sunrises and sunsets and coffee and fresh water and electricity and cloudscapes and spring! Let us not forget to praise!!
During our time together:
- we will listen to beautiful praise poetry
- we will write our own praises and share in small groups – not to be fancy-shmancy writers but to let our hearts crack open with our unique ways of loving this world.
- we will share in a virtual circle our own ways of praise so we can be inspired by one another. Do you sing? Talk to the trees? Kiss the mountain trail with your feet? Do you make altars? Do you speak tender words into the soil? Do you pile flowers and fruit and give them back to the ground from which they came? Do you dance? Make art? Do you stroke the herbs and flowers as you walk by? Do you spread seeds for the birds and the critters? Do you never think about any of this and want to come to be inspired? Please do!
- we will take a break to wander outside in our own places and enact our own humble or extravagant gestures of praise
- then we will share about our place-specific praise practice in a joyful closing circle.
I am sooooooo looking forward to hosting this event.
Life and the Ancestors and Earth herself have been nudging me to do this for some time. I'm following their lead and making it happen. You're warmly invited to join me - and then you are gently encouraged to host a Praise Party of your own.
Let's do it!!
I will send the zoom link and all you need to know in the days before our gathering.
Donations are greatly appreciated and will be forwarded to one of my favorite organizations, Treesisters!
“I have not a clue whether we humans will live for another 100 or 10,000 years. We can’t be sure. What matters to me is the fact we have fallen out of a very ancient love affair – a kind of dream tangle, with the earth itself. If through our own mess, that relationship is about to end, then we need to scatter as much beauty around us as we possibly can, to send a voice, to attempt some kind of repair. I think of it as a kind of courting – a very old idea. This isn’t about statistical hysteria, it’s about personal style. Any other response is just not cool.”
- Martin Shaw
- Mary Oliver