Friends, we are thrilled to share an invitation for you to join us in the Embodiment Lab!
"Now I know the buoyancy
of the perfect curves in my upright spine,
the opulent, round grounding
of my feet flesh on the floor."
excerpt from a poem by Brooke McNamara
For the past 15 years we've been teaching this incredible work in a beautiful studio in Salt Lake City, Utah.
We usually teach to two dozen people (at the most) at a time. While we love the intimacy of that size for a live gathering, and while we utterly cherish our local live community, we've realized that in a sense the room has become too small and that many many more than 2 dozen people at a time really need this work.
So we've created an online learning lab where you can join us in this life-giving learning from anywhere in the world - and all at your own convenience.
Can I get a WOOOOOHOOOOOO!?!?!
“The aim [of the Feldenkrais Method] is a person that is organized to move with minimum effort and maximum efficiency, not through muscular strength, but through increased consciousness of how movement works.” - Moshe Feldenkrais
By enrolling in this course, you’ll enjoy:
- Four unique 30 minute-long instructional course videos plus an audio-only version of the lesson. Each lesson will contain a talk, a guided practice, and invitations to work/play/explore on your own. The first lesson is released on the 1st of the month, then weekly thereafter. You can access them at any time - they are prerecorded just for you.
- Four unique and accessible Embodied Movement Lessons provided as downloadable or streamable audio recordings.
- Two live 60-minute group conferences via Zoom with Erin & Carl. (Recordings will be available if you miss the live calls, and you’re most welcome to send your questions in via email.)
- A wealth of additional resources including:
- movement quickies,
- amazing articles,
- gorgeous poetry,
- guided meditations,
- bonus somatic practices,
- bonus short videos,
- experiential anatomy teachings,
- embodied mindfulness practices,
- and potent embodied inquiries.
- Oh, it's going to be so rrrrrich.
- Optional opportunities to engage with other learners in the private Embodiment Lab online conversations (which are not on Facebook.) One of our great blessings is the incredible community of people who gather around this work. You will meet some incredible, wise, kind, real and authentic people who share so much wisdom.
- Invitations and reflections to help you step off the self-improvement treadmill. As Paul Hawken says, "You are brilliant and Earth is hiring!" Sense how your own embodied learning can help not just you, but this world. When we contextualize our learning beyond just ourselves, we find so much meaning, energy, and inspiration.
- You'll have ongoing access to all the course materials via our easy to use online platform on Ruzuku. You may also download all the lessons to your own device.
- Each month centers around a unique theme. We can hardly wait! Read more about upcoming themes here.
- For us, it's a given, but we'll make it explicit: We promise to treat you with the utmost respect and kindness. We'll never be bossy or shaming. You're a grown-ass adult after all, so how you use the practices is up to you. We're honored to share potent, gentle, invitational guidance to support you as you reclaim your birthright: your own incarnation and your own organic learning process. We do our best to make it as down to earth, fun, engaging, and beauty-filled as possible.
Cost is only $50 USD for each month of the Embodiment Lab!
While the price will change in the future, you will have access to as many future months as you like at the monthly price at which you first subscribe to the Lab. So if you join us now, your cost will continue to be just $50 a month to participate in the monthly courses. We're starting with the price super low to encourage you to jump in and join us because it's going to be sooooooo excellent and we really hope to see you there!
You can stay with us in the lab over months or years or you can also opt to cancel at any time. (You'll have ongoing access to the materials for any labs you've paid for.) We're creating this vibrant learning space so we can share so much of what we love about embodied learning and practices and perspectives that we wish everyone had access to. We've got at least 5 years worth of materials at the ready. So let's get started!!!!
We also have 3 scholarship spots we'll be donating per month:
Please contact us if you’re interested in the work yet unable to afford the $50 cost without hardship. Once you contact us, we’ll add you to the list of potential scholarship recipients for that month. Please include in your email how you think this course will be of benefit in your life and anything you'd like to say about why the cost is a hardship at this time. We’ll be delighted to choose 3 recipients each month to join us for that edition of the Embodiment Lab at a pay-what-you-can rate.
If you would like to assist us in keeping this work accessible or if you have been gifted financial assistance previously and now wish to extend this generosity to others, please contact us to make a donation to our scholarship fund.
You may also contact us if you’d like to gift membership to the Embodiment Lab to someone you love. You may gift any number of months you’d like!
One of our shared central life passions is the exploration of learning, teaching, and exploring contexts that support others in finding and honing their unique inner compass and reliable embodied guidance.
We are so looking forward to this month of experiential, embodied explorations of Intimacy With Your Spine in the Embodiment Lab.
In this course, we will explore several wonderfully enlivening and intimate movement lessons that focus on your spine.
Some lessons will be subtle, some dynamic, and all will lead to a greater sense of intimacy and connection with this central structure in your body. The movement explorations we'll explore will help you grow a clearer self-image (which leads to greatly improved function) and a clearer understanding of this beautiful, mysterious column of bones that holds us upright in the field of gravity.
These brilliant movement lessons can have a powerful effect on
- freeing your neck,
- releasing tension in your upper back and chest,
- reducing back pain
- organizing your low back and pelvis for more efficient movement
- improving upright posture
- and restoring health and vitality to your spine overall.
We work with this at such a deep level when we slow down, feel ourselves with respect, learn to listen to our body's ongoing feedback through pain and pleasure, and liberate ourselves from unconscious habits that may no longer be serving our well being and our efficient movement. It's so worth doing!
Brilliant Feldenkrais teacher Ruthy Alon uses an image we've long loved: that each of us needs family therapy for our vertebrae. As happens in some families, many of us have a part of our spine that does too much work and so hurts itself. Many of us have a part of our spine that doesn't feel much and doesn't participate much, and so contributes to the problem. In these lessons, we'll experience the spine as a whole, feeling into ways of moving that invite appropriate participation from all the parts.
Feldenkrais lessons offer a unique and surprisingly effective approach:
“To produce the mental ease necessary for the reduction of useless efforts, the group is repeatedly encouraged to learn to do a little less well than is possible when trying hard – to be less fast, less vigorous, less graceful, etc. They are often asked to do the utmost and then deliberately to do a little less. This is more important than it might seem. For if enabled to feel progress while not tensing, pupils have the sensation of being able to do better, which induces more progress. Achievements that otherwise may need numerous hours of work can be obtained in twenty minutes with this attitude of mind and body.”
A POEM BY AUDREY GIDMAN
" I step into my body as though
I am a temple making holy
the dirt. Here I crack myself
open like an eggshell – a pale
blue thing coming apart now
in unfolded bloom.
I wash my face. I will go home but not
in the same shoes, not
with the same shoulders.
I pull on my clothes. I am learning
the belly of the water in my knees,
that mother tongue drum in my spine
and when it settles
so too does the roof
of my mother’s house—I am here
cooking breakfast over the stove, unraveling
the bone quilt
my grandmothers sang until their fingers
bent into wind—
these knees are for prayer: the river
remembers itself in my hands. "
Let's explore Intimacy With Your Spine!
We hope you'll consider joining us in the Embodiment Lab!
Wishing you an unshakable connection with your own inner teacher,
Carl & Erin